Meng Hongwei A former Interpol chief accused of bribery has been sentenced to 13-and-a-half years in jail by a Chinese court on Tuesday.
Hongwei, who was the first Chinese head of Interpol, disappeared on a trip back to the country from France (where international policing agency Interpol is based) in September 2018.
China later confirmed he had been detained and also was being investigated over suspected bribe-taking as part of President Xi Jinping’s drive against corruption.
Meng has admitted to taking more than $2m (£1.6m) in bribes in a trial last year.
He was scheduled to serve as head of Interpol until 2020, but the organisation said he resigned as president days after his wife reported him as missing.
The Communist Party said Meng had abused his position for personal gain, misused state funds to finance his family’s “extravagant lifestyle” and disregarded Communist Party principles.
He was expelled from the party and stripped of all government positions, according to the party’s watchdog, the Central Commission for Discipline Inspection (CCDI).
His wife, who is currently living in France under political asylum, has said the charges against him are politically motivated.
Chinese President Xi Jinping has overseen a vast and ruthless anti-corruption campaign in which one million officials have been disciplined. Critics say this campaign has been used to great effect to silence some of his political rivals.
The 56-year-old was also ordered by the Tianjin No 1 Intermediate People’s Court to pay a fine of two million yuan ($289,540; £222,711).
The court statement said Meng would not appeal against the verdict.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Your Name (required)
Your Email (required)
2019 Powered By ClearviewTV
Design By HighlyDemanded